Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Attack of the SANCTIMOMMIES...

It's been awhile...I know, I know. I've been a little busy with my job. The hours suck, the boss is sometimes a pain in the butt, but I got a pretty hot co-worker so it all evens out. Anyway, I digress.

So, most of us in the parenting community are probably pretty familiar with the term "sanctimommy".  Most of us know at least one and have probably been one on one occasion or another or, God forbid, are a full fledged "sanctimommy" and don't even know it. Let me break it down for you...

According to Wikipedia, a "sanctimommy" (henceforth to be referred to as SM because I am too lazy to keep typing "sanctimommy") is;
 a portmanteau of two words, sanctimonious and mommy. The word is a colloquialism used to refer to a person, usually a female, who has very opinionated views on child rearing and presents them upfront without any sense of humility. 
Sound like someone you know? I am sure it does because, let's be honest, we've all been there a time or two. We all have our own opinions about this thing we call motherhood and sometimes we feel pretty strongly about them. Why do you think there are so many mommy blogs out there to begin with? But something is getting lost in translation. In our desires to be the best mommy humanly possible to our little ones, some of us have taken this desire a step too far by thinking that what works for YOU will (and should) work for everyone else. And this is where the all too famous "mommy wars" have begun and it's causing a lot of unnecessary stress in our already too stressful lives.

Now, I'm not saying stop having an opinion. Opinions are great! All I am saying is stop acting like your opinion is special. What works for my family may not work for yours. If slaving in the kitchen all day over a locally grown, organic masterpiece of a meal makes you feel like a good mommy, then by all means, do it but don't judge me for giving my kids macaroni and cheese and hot dogs because I wanted to have more time
to play outside. THAT'S what makes ME feel like a good mom. If you think homeschooling or private schooling is what's best for your kid then go for it but don't judge me because I recognize that I do not have the knowledge or patience to teach my children from a curriculum. It doesn't mean I don't care about their education or don't want to be involved with it...it just means I know my limits and what's best for MY kids. I think you get the point...

All I am saying is there is enough pressure on us as mothers to do a good job raising our kids. After all, it's probably the most important job in the world. We need to stop cutting other moms down. We need to stop giving advice that hasn't been solicited (I will go on record in saying that I HAVE done this and I'm working on it LOL). We NEED to lift each other up and support each other, no matter how different our opinions are. This job is freaking hard...let's stop making it harder by competing with each other. When in doubt...just shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment